1. Please search best sellers/popular materials at least twice in LINC before sending materials to us - preferably with a wait of 2-3 days between searches. We are loading WorldCat Cataloging Parners (WCP, formerly PromptCat) order records daily and it is very possible your best seller/popular item will appear in LINC in the interim. If a WCP invoice indicates that a vendor supplied a record, but there isn't one in LINC, that means the vendor supplied a substandard record, we didn't load it, and we need a copy of the item in question in order to ensure that our users can access it via a complete bib record.
2. Please flag any 'rush' materials - i.e., bestsellers, teacher requests, etc. We will move those to the head of the queue. If you need an item by a specific date, please indicate that date as well.
3. Acquisitions libraries may enter short bibs for materials not yet received, but please do not tag on to these records if you have actually received the item. Instead, send the material to the Cataloging Center. If you are not using acquisitions and would like to be able to add on-order records, contact Donna Schaal, [email protected], for training on this process.
4. Be sure to check the orphan materials list if an item hasn't been returned, http://www.lincolntrail.info/cataloging-orphanmaterials.html. Orphans are items that arrive without property stamps or owning information - we can't return them if we don't know who sent them.
5. Make sure that while processing materials you don't cover information that we might need for cataloging, including but not limited to: Information on the title page and title page verso of books; ISBNs; UPC codes on music, video and electronic resources; music, video and electronic resource publisher numbers (these often appear on the spines of video and CD containers.); names and addresses of publishers and distributors on music, video, and electronic resource containers. We realize this can be a challenge with some music, video, and electronic materials, but if we have to guess or try to carefully remove stickers and labels, it slows us down and may affect the quality of our cataloging.
Thanks for all of your help!